TÜV SÜD tips on garage doors
Garage doors are not toys
Munich (Pressweb) - No two garage doors are the same. What type of door do you prefer? What are the important factors for your purchase decision and use? TÜV SÜD's product pros give tips – from constructing a new garage to fitting a new door to an existing garage.
• Potential purchasers can choose between up-and-over, sectional, roller shutter and side-hinged garaged doors. The two most popular types at present are sectional and roller shutter doors. One of the reasons for this popularity is the fact that these door types open vertically and thus allow for the maximum use of driveway and garage space compared to other designs such as side-hinged doors.
• Protection from thieves or UV radiation (car paintwork), convenience, looks – a garage door has multiple functions. It can also contribute significantly to thermal protection. This particularly applies to garages attached to a house or stand-alone garages that also serve as workshops or for recreational purposes. The ratings ISO 9, ISO 20 or ISO 40 refer to door insulation (indicating thickness in millimetres). Crushing and shearing hazards should be minimized. This is an important aspect for ensuring safe handling of the door by adults. And one thing goes without saying: whatever the type, garage doors and – in the case of powered doors – their operator systems are no place for children to fool around; parents are responsible for keeping their children properly supervised. Manufacturers of tested door systems must enclose a sign warning against the risk of children becoming trapped and injured. This sign must be put up when the door is installed. Another tip by TÜV SÜD's experts: intelligent safety systems must recognize any unusual change in load occurring during the opening or closing of the door, i.e. when, say, a child holds on to the door handle. In this case, the system will automatically stop the door.
• Home owners who plan to replace their old up-and-over or side-hinged doors with modern sectional or roller shutter doors are best advised to contact an expert to determine the correct door size. The new door supplies a larger drive-through width as there are no longer any lifting arms extending into the drive-through space.
• Perhaps the operator system is still in good order but you plan to replace the garage door – for example, with a door that matches your front door. In this case you must make sure that the size and weight of the new door are suitable for the existing operator system. A new garage door that is too heavy or large for the operator system may result in overheating and fire risk.
• Today, most systems use a radio remote control. To prevent any interference between, say, mobile phone and radio control and to ensure the electrical safety and robustness of the key-operated switch or button and all other relevant components, users should look out for the relevant certification marks on both garage door and operator system.
• The GS mark (tested safety) or the TÜV SÜD Octagon provide guidance. Before issuing these marks, the product professionals test doors and operator systems for their electrical, mechanical and functional safety. Consumers should look out for the GS mark (issued for complete systems) or type approval marking (for individual components) which refers to the standards applicable to garage doors, including EN 60335-2-95 (electrical safety), EN ISO 13489-1 (functional safety), EN 12424 (resistance to wind load), EN 12453 (safety in use of power operated doors), EN 12604 (mechanical requirements) and EN 12978 (safety devices for power operated doors and gates).
• How can you diagnose what's wrong when your key is in the switch but the door won't budge? What is the correct maintenance procedure for the operator system? User and instruction manuals supply information on troubleshooting and other issues. Detailed and easily understandable user and instruction manuals are important indicators of product quality. They also provide the basis for expert door installation, a critical factor for the warranty period, which according to TÜV SÜD should be at least five years.
• Another piece of good advice on expert installation is that garage owners who are not adept in the installation of garage doors should commission a specialist company to install the door – not least to ensure they do not jeopardize possible warranty claims
Further information and tips by TÜV SÜD Product Service are available at www.tuev-sued.de/ps
Redakční poznámka: Za pravdivost obsahu odpovídají zadavatelé jednotlivých článků.